SC - Cookery-Art or Science

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Jan 21 17:04:51 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/21/99 12:23:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mermayde at juno.com writes:

<< The common thought from working in kitchens is that Cooking is an
 Art, and Baking is a Science. >>

I tend to agree somewhat with your point here.

My original interpretation of it as more of a 'Science' was based on the
common formulas that make success of a meal. For instance, there are grains
that require  1 cp grain to 2 cups liquid (e.g. rice) and there are grains
that require 1cp grain to 3 or more cups liquid (e.g. barley). These same
types of formulas can be found for the cooking of various fruits or
vegetables. Or the roasting of meats. Thickening agents to produce sauces are
used at 1 T starch per 1 cp liquid.

Once those basics are mastered then the individual cook can  produce a work of
art by tweaking, adding seasonings, varying temperatures, etc. And so the
confusion over whether cookery is an art or a science. IMO, a cook cannot
produce a masterpiece if he/she is unaware of the science behind it. OTOH,
anyone who can read should be able to cook.

<sigh>And so the lines are blurred. Generally, though in the SCA A&S
exhibits/competitions I have seen or participated in always categorize cooking
as an art. :-)

Ras