SC - Re: HERB - Tobacco and other Smoking Herbs

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Thu Jan 21 17:13:19 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>I did look up a number of different references to Mountain Coltsfoot
>on the suggestion and commentary of responses to the smoking
>question. I traced the name "Coltsfoot" in its various forms through
>the documentation I have at home and in our meager public library
>and I think that the comments saying that Tussilinge is Coltsfoot (or
>Bullsfoot, Horsefoot, Farfugium, Bechium and any number of others)
>are correct.

>  The smoking of the leaves for a cough has the recommendation
>  of Dioscorides, Galen, Pliny, Boyle, and other great authorities,
>  both ancient and modern, Linnaeus stating that the Swedes of
>  his time smoked it for that purpose. Pliny recommended the
>  use of both roots and leaves. The leaves are the basis of
>  the British Herb Tobacco, in which Coltsfoot predominates,
>  the other ingredients being Buckbean, Eyebright, Betony,
>  Rosemary, Thyme, Lavender, and Chamomile flowers. This relieves
>  asthma and also the difficult breathing of old bronchitis.
>  Those suffering from asthma, catarrh and other lung troubles
>  derive much benefit from smoking this Herbal Tobacco, the use
>  of which does not entail any of the injurious effects of
>  ordinary tobacco. (from the online copy at www.botanical.com)

My grandfather used to have us inhale the smoke of Coltsfoot leaves if we had
sinus problems or congestion.  He'd dry the leaves by hanging them up in
bunches, then he'd set fire to the leaves in a bowl and we'd have to lean
over the bowl and inhale deeply.  I can't say I remember it working very well
although I remember the smoke making my eyes burn.

He also said that he'd seen Coltsfoot as an ingredient in store-bought throat
lozenges.  I've never seen it included anywhere myself.

Elysant