private-Re: SC - mustard sauce

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Jan 24 19:06:34 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/24/99 8:39:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
renfrow at skylands.net writes:

<< And, btw, there are plenty of recipes that call for salt; even some that
 call for no sauce but salt.

 Regards,

 Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu >>

Agreed, however, even in sweet dishes sometimes a small amount of salt is a
good thing. A non-period example would be cakes, which for the most part
always cantain what is an insignificant amount. It is understood here that you
are referring to sweet mustard and I agree that in those cases salt is not
necessary. However, if you were referring to my post about salt in period
recipes, I was not specifically referring to sweet mustards although I can see
how that impression could have been gotten.

Agreed that there are recipes from period that specifically call for the
addition of salt. I have no argument with you there BUT if I see a period
recipe for chicken, for instance, that does not include any salt Iwould be
very leary of not adding it because whether served with period dishes or no,
the flavor would be, IMO and from experience simply put ....yucky. :-)

On a side note, the recipes that you have redacted or included in your books
that follow the period source exactly and do not contain salt, at least the
ones that i have tried without anytweaking, are extraordinarily edible, so my
comments were not meant to be a reflection of your work or expertise in this
area. I apologize if I seemed to make that impression. 'Take a Thousand Eggs'
is one of the first books that I think of when someone asks for a
recommendation for feast recipe sources. :-) However, I have not tried a
period chicken recipe that does not include salt from your work. Considering
your post, I suppose it is about time I did. :-)

A fan,
Ras