SC - RE:Fritters

Knott, Deanna Deanna.Knott at GSC.GTE.Com
Mon Jan 25 06:39:51 PST 1999

Greetings!

Someone asked about fritters in Platina.

It was my impression that these would not necessarily have to be *crispy* on
the outside.  I was thinking that these friiters would comeout more like New
England fried dough (dough boys), or, actually closer to clam cakes.  I
don't know if these are *wicked* regional foods, so I'll 'splain them.

For dough boys, take some dough and rip off a piece about the size of an
egg.  Flatten and stretch out to the size of a coaster or a little more and
fry in oil or shortening.  When golden brown on the bottom, flip and cook
the other side.  Remove from fat and drain serve with your choice/combo of
toppings: butter, sugar, confectionary sugar, cinnamon (I like them served
with hot dogs and Bostob baked beans, you sop up the bean goo with them).

Clam cakes consist of flour, baking powder, chopped clams (quahogs), clam
broth, salt, pepper.  Mix these together, scoop out spoonfuls and drop into
hot fat.  Clam cakes range in size from egg to apple sized, but they are all
universally round.  Drain and serve.

While both of these foods are fried and are crispy somewhat, they aren't
crispy like fried chips but not as soft as donuts.  This is what my
impression of fritters were and they keep in a 200 degree oven pretty well.

Someday soon I will have my experiments with fritters webbed and up on the
page with my sausage.

Yours,
Avelina