SC - Cookery-Art or Science

Reia M. Chmielowski kareina at eagle.ptialaska.net
Tue Jan 26 01:46:09 PST 1999

At 06:41 1/21/99 , you wrote:

>	Baking (and all 'Pastry Sciences', to borrow a phrase from Homer
>Simpson) is a Science.  Chemical reactions needed to take place need
>accurate measurement and temperatures to insure a consistant product.
>"That looks like enough baking powder (yeast, salt, egg, soda, etc.)"
>would not do for recipies dependent on the right proportions of said
>ingredients to react correctly.

I disagree--I always use the "that looks about right" method of
baking--yes, chemical reactions need to take place, but there is much more
margin for error than you are implying!  To me baking is an art!  Now--if I
needed to do mass production and needed to get the _exact_ same result
every time, then it wouldn't be an art anymore, but mere drudgery...

- --Kareina
(sorry if I'm repeating what others have said--I'm a bit behind on reading
my mail due to traveling last week...)