SC - Platina - questions

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Tue Jan 26 08:09:59 PST 1999

	>1) Most of the time, people use Cheddar for Armored Turnips.  Has
anyone
	>tried any other cheeses?  If so, which one's and how did it come
out?

Here are some notes I made on this dish test-cooking/from a feast I did last
August;

Armored Swedes
Tricia and I test-cooked this. We used mild cheddar cheese. First we
scrubbed and quartered an approximately 1lb / 500 gm Swede and boiled it
until it was done, but not too soft. This took about 40 minutes. We then
peeled the quarters and cut them into slices. We alternately layered the
Swede with the cheese slices/chunks in a baking pan, then cooked it. We
forgot to put the butter and spices in! <blush> Tricia liked this dish (and
took the rest of it home with her). I found it bland and rather boring,
although with a tastier cheese and spices it would improve immensely.
Conclusions:
Remember to put the butter and spices in!!!
Use a richer, creamier cheese, perhaps Edam or Gouda.
Feast Day Summary:
Cooked the Swedes a day before, then sliced them for the next day.
Point to remember - it's easier to boil them then remove the skins, than the
other way round.
Used 2/3 Cathedral City medium vintage cheddar and 1/3 a soft Jarlsberg-like
Swedish cheese (very appropriate I thought!). Melted well, with a good
strong flavour.
Used salt, pepper, and freshly grated nutmeg as the seasoning between
layers.
Probably the most popular dish at the feast. People especially liked the
crispy top. Definitely use again.

The Shire vetoed the use of turnips for swedes en masse (no Baldric's around
here!) but I imagine the outcome is pretty much the same. The soft cheese
definitely added texture and taste. Next time I think I'll go for that
alone.

Al Vostro e al Servizio del Sogno
Lucretzia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at geocities.com <mailto://thorngrove@geocities.com>  |
http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove <http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove>

"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers" - Aretino, 1536