SC - new theory on pea broth

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Tue Jan 26 12:20:36 PST 1999

Somewhere, I have recipes that call for 'pea broth'.  We've discussed
this on the list, I think.  Now, when you cook the dried peas, and you
take the lid off the pot, you have cooked peas at the bottom of the pot
and a brownish/clearish liquid at the top.  Normally, we mush everything
together and go from there.  The recipes don't call for pea soup, bruet,
or pottage.  They want *broth*.  This morning I cooked peas and then
drained them into a bowl.  The fairly clear liquid I have divided and
will freeze for use when I find those recipes.  Not in Chiquart,
apparently, 'find' couldn't produce 'pea broth'.

I simmered my ham bone and the trimmings with an onion, carrot, and
celery stalk and a twig of dried rosemary, then strained off that broth.
The soft peas went into the blender with the ham broth, and are back on
simmer with some fresh thyme.  The bone and meat are cooling until I can
pick them and add the meat to the soup.  I think the soup is better,
already, because there's less water in it.

What do people think of this form of 'pea broth'?  Or do you all know
this and I'm the only one who didn't?  Does anyone remember, off-hand,
where the pea broth recipes are, before I have to check everything??

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA
Kingdom of Aethelmearc