SC - new theory on pea broth

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Jan 26 22:44:28 PST 1999

The recipe for Perre in _Two Fifteenth Century_ says:

Take grene pesyn, and boile hem in a potte; And whan they ben y-broke,
drawe the broth a good quantite thorgh a streynour into a potte, And sitte
hit on the fire; and take oynons and parcelly, and hewe hem small togidre,
And caste hem thereto; And take pouder of Canell and peper, and caste
thereto, and lete boile; And take vynegur and pouder of ginger, and caste
thereto; And then take Saffron and salte, a litull quantite, and caste
thereto; And take faire peces of paynmain, or elles of such tendur brede,
and kutte hit yn fere mosselles, and caste there-to; And then serue hit so
forth.

When I originally did it, I assumed you were supposed to be putting
everything through the strainer. It later occurred to me that an
alternative reading was that you were using the broth in the dish, and
doing something else with the peas--and that possibility is mentioned at
the end of the recipe in the current edition of the _Miscellany_.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/