SC - Ambiance: Was : Cookery-Art or Science

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Wed Jan 27 03:10:29 PST 1999

At 10:03 25-1-99 -0500, Margali wrote:
>Personally, I would love to have a feast where the feast is the reason for
the
>event, and the food hits the table starting at 1200, after the first course a
>bit of court with some other entertainment [an organized bout with swords or
>wrestling  and a bit of prearranged dancing by a group doing it as
entertainers,
>not open to the general audience] then another course, repeat the
intermission,
>then another course and keep it up til 5 or 6 when we clear the hall and
do open
>dancing and schmoozing with the banquette course set out on a sideboard. No
>classes, no sports, no a&s, just feast and frolic[frolic and detour for all
>those law types...;-)]

The Barony of Ponte Alto (mka northern VA) did this for their Baronial
Birthday a few years ago.  Entertainments included exhibitions of dance by
Baron Niall, dancing (for the masses), a puppet show presented by the
children of the barony, and games.

The Shire of Frosted Hills (mka Poughkeepsie NY) also did something like
this with their Feast for a Winter's Eve six years ago.  Alternating
courses were followed by dancing or by entertainments, which included
musicians, singers, and IIRC a juggler or two.

Alasdair mac Iain

Laird Alasdair mac Iain of Elderslie
Dun an Leomhain Bhig
Canton of Dragon's Aerie [southeastern CT]
Barony Beyond the Mountain  [northern & southeastern CT]
East Kingdom
Argent, a chevron cotised azure surmounted by a sword and in chief two
mullets sable