SC - new theory on pea broth

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jan 27 04:36:26 PST 1999

david friedman wrote:

> The recipe for Perre in _Two Fifteenth Century_ says:
>
> Take grene pesyn, and boile hem in a potte; And whan they ben y-broke,
> drawe the broth a good quantite thorgh a streynour into a potte,
<snip>
> When I originally did it, I assumed you were supposed to be putting
> everything through the strainer. It later occurred to me that an
> alternative reading was that you were using the broth in the dish, and
> doing something else with the peas--and that possibility is mentioned at
> the end of the recipe in the current edition of the _Miscellany_.

One thing to consider is that the recipe does give us a backhanded,
vague guide as to how much of the pea substance is infused/dissolved
into the broth. The peas are boiled until they break open, which
indicates some of the internal pea stuff is going to end up in the
broth, even if strained under normal gravity and no other pressure.

But yes, I recall a couple of other recipes where peas are boiled and
strained for the cooking liquid (French Joutes?). My only question is if
anyone has an example of a recipe that does use the drained pea
solids...offhand, I can't think of one, unless you count bread and
animal fodder.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --