SC - Byzantine Sources

James L. Matterer jlmatterer at labyrinth.net
Thu Jan 28 03:00:10 PST 1999

Several years ago there was in circulation a newsletter entitled EARLY
PERIOD. I know very little about this publication except that it dealt
with mostly pre-1000 recreation, and was produced by people involved
with the SCA. A good friend gave me xerox copies of issues 1-27, which I
had covered and bound.

In issue 5 was an article called Byzantine Foods which contained 7
recipes, along with this documentation:

Chantiles, Vilma Liacouras. The Food of Greece. Avenel, 1979.

Diehl, Charles. Byzantium: Greatness and Decline. Rutgers University
Press, 1957

Haussig, H.W. A History of Byzantine Civilization. Praeger, 1971.

Rice, Tamara Talbot. Everyday Life in Byzantium. Dorset, 1967.

Last March two SCA ladies wrote me asking if I could help them find
Byzantine recipes. I posted the recipes from EARLY PERIOD on the web so
they and everyone else could have access to them. The URL is:

http://www.labs.net/dmccormick/huen/letters/letter05.htm

Sadly, I can't credit an author for the article or even any info on the
publication itself, as none was included in the copies I was given, nor
in the originals that they were conceived from. Neither can I attest for
their accurateness or complete authenticity; still, I thought they may
prove of interest to some of you.

I hope this helps in your search!

Huen/Jim Matterer
- --