SC - Royal declared chocolate period (was: serrated knife blades)

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Sat Jan 30 20:12:45 PST 1999

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Sharon R. Saroff wrote:

> I think, I would very much like to hear this story and get the brownie recipe.
>
> Sindara

	I posted the brownie recipe yesterday- if for some reason you
didn't get it, e-mail me off-list, and I'll send it to you.

	As to the story, well, here's what I remember...

	It was in the days when the mighty King, Tjorkill Kanne sat the
Lion throne, with his strong and gracious Queen Elowyn de Leon at his
side. Dark times came upon the land, for the barbarous hordes from the
south, the armies of the West, had swarmed across the border and set up a
stronghold in the lands we called Cavern's Gate. This camp was on a cool,
clear river, and forests stood round, and the natives were fierce and
unruly. The mighty arms of the Summits, Duke James Greyhelm, Sir Paul of
Somerton, Master Timothy MacDaniel, Sir Ambrose Mavororothakis, their
squires, and other doughty men of arms, were unable to push back the
invaders. King Tjorkill, when hearing of this horrible thing, called forth
him armies and came south.
	Now I am a widow, and I hold lands in trust for my son, who is not
yet of an age to be squired. I have no champion to carry my name into
battle, and my housecarls have a bad tendency to run off and get married.
So during the season that war comes upon us, I make a point of pay as
generous a scutage as I can- usually a couple dozen of the cakes of 'False
St. John's bread' and some cookies (usually oatmeal). Sometimes there is
gold coin, when the crops have been especially good.
	When King Tjorkill reached the lands of the Summits, I presented
he and his Queen with a large box (4 doz.) of the cakes, and I think some
coin. This was much exclaimed over and they were quite thankful. And then
the both of them armed themselves and set to beating back the foe.
	Sometime during the day's fighting, our most valourous Queen was
captured by the heinous Western army, and we were much alarmed, as they
were demanding ransom. But His Majesty, being reminded of the brown cakes,
did offer some of them to the king of the West in exchange for the safe
return of the An Tirian Queen, and so later did he tell me of this, and
how glad he was to have his Queen back, and how glad he was that his
squires had not yet eaten all of the brown cakes!
	That is the story of how brownies saved the Queen of An Tir. There
are other tales of the brown cakes, but as they say, those are for another
day.

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731