SC - Grits

Jgoldsp at aol.com Jgoldsp at aol.com
Sun Jan 31 06:30:17 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/31/99 1:27:06 PM !!!First Boot!!!, Clay at talstar.com
writes:

<< When we lived in Connecticut I ordered grits at a restaurant, along with
poached
 eggs (I know, I know, but I like poached eggs!) bacon and rye toast.  The
grits
 were brought to me with butter and sugar and cream on the side long before
the
 rest of my breakfast arrived.  They were instant grits and the waitress,
cooks,
 et al were astounded I wanted hot grits with my meal...AND I put butter and
salt
 on them!!!  When ordering iced tea up there you also often will need to ask
for
 a glass of ice and a pot of hot water to make your own....it seems in many
areas
 during all but summer iced tea is "out of season".  Although it has been some
 time since the War of Northern Aggression,  the North has been unable to
 discover the wonderful way the South savors certain food items.

 Isabella/Dee >>
Your pardon honey lamb but the war to preserve the union has been sometime in
the past and some of us Yankees have learned a few gracious ways from the
South. That you could find grits period in Conn. is to me a small miracle.
Where I work I have offered grits and poached eggs and I get stares of
bewilderment from the customers. Coming from PA originally and having
Virginian relatives as well as Amish I consider myself well rounded and use
all of my cultural attributes. Now as for tea as soon as the weather is above
32 F I have ice tea available for the customers with free refills, you usually
don't see that in the North. I must admit I have worked in the south for a
number of years Ga.,SC.,and Fla. so I maybe a little more culturally aware
than other northerners but give us time we are learning  and to close as a
famous movie star said ,"have an iced tea its the house wine of the south"
                                                 with much fond regards Joram