SC - payn ragoun

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jan 31 16:48:02 PST 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> << Thus the word "thriddendele" becomes (pine nuts)
>  "rendered into thirds".
>
>  An outside chance, but I thought I'd mention it! >>
>
> Personally I think this interpretation is highly unlikely since the word is
> not used in that way in any other texts, SFAIK.
<snip>
> While you idea is certainly worthy of entertaining, IMO the previous redaction
> which translates this term as 'a third part' is most like the more accurate
> one.

Hieatt and Butler, in their glossary of Middle English culinary terms,
appendixed to Curye On Inglysh, translate "dele" or deele" as "an amount
or portion", and "thriddendele" as "one third each". See the Forme of
Cury recipes 68, 105, 138. In #68 (payn ragoun) the usage is slightly
different, referring to one ingredient being one third [of something
else or the total] while the reference #'s 105 and 138 is pretty clearly
to equal parts of each of three ingredients: for example a
court-bouillion for boiling pig's feet being equal parts of wine,
vinegar, and water.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --