SC - Scottish/british food terms

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sat Jan 2 04:01:39 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/30/98 9:07:17 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
Devra at aol.com writes:

>  I also understand that certain breeds of cow (notably the Jersey
>  actually found on the Isle of Jersey) naturally give cream much thicker and
>  richer than we are accustomed to here.

Actually, the Jersey Breed (Which did originate on the Isle of Jersey) does
produce milk higher in butterfat than most other dairy breeds (Such as the
Holstein.)  Doesn't mean the resulting cream is richer, simply that you can
get more cream per pint of milk.

For comparison's sake, when we were dairying, our registered Holsteins
averaged 5 to 8 gallons of 4% to 5% butterfat milk per milking.  Our
registered Jerseys averaged 3 to 5 gallons of 7% to 8% butterfat milk per day.
We're talking US gallons, at about 8.6 lbs of milk per gallon, so our best
Holstein producer gave almost 3 1/2 lbs of butterfat per day.  Her Jersey
counterpart (who was a ribbon winner several times in our county) gave the
same amount of butterfat in 5/8  the amount of milk.

Since, in order to make milk, you allow the butterfat to rise and settle, then
skim it off, the percent butterfat of the cream is not related to the percent
butterfat of the milk. However the total amount you can get from a given
amount does.

The richness of cream has more to do with the method of preparing it than with
the kind of milk you start with.

Milk taken directly from the cow, warm, allowed to sit overnight, then skimmed
produces a far superior product than anything I've ever found in a grocery.

Mordonna
Warrior Haven
Atenveldt
Atenveldt