SC - Next Pennsic-OT-OOP-IMPORTANT

Peters, Rise J. PetersR at SpiegelMcD.com
Mon Jan 4 10:49:03 PST 1999

The relevant part of the seneschal's letter reads:

Wears an attempt at pre-17th century dress:

The SCA recreates the culture of the landed nobility of European medieval or
renaissance culture and allows visitors thereto who are expected to adapt to
that culture. This means that if you have a fantasy-based persona, you are
welcome to attend Pennsic, but you need to leave your fantasy-based persona
at home, and develop an alternative persona that meets the criteria outlined
above.

A reasonable attempt at pre-17th century dress for the landed nobility of
European medieval or renaissance culture, or a visitor that adapted to that
culture, does not include:

*Elf ears *Fangs *Any other physical enhancement that suggests supernatural
origins *Star Trek/science fiction costumes *Eighteenth or nineteenth
century military uniforms *Blatant and highly visible modern clothing items
unless coming into or leaving camp site *Any part of a bikini of any kind
*Leather clothing that evokes S&M, slavery or other sexual or fantasy themes
*cabaret belly-dancing costumes

*Clothing that violates common public decency standards

*Blue hospital shirts are reserved for the use of Cooper staff only

Reminder:

The wearing of regalia does not make jeans and a T-shirt acceptable garb.

Please note that for this requirement only, we are depending on the personal
honor of attendees for compliance.

	We urge gentles who are confronted with the dress of those who fail
to comply with these standards to courteously remind them that this is not
the game we are playing here.

	It was suggested that, in this letter, "any middle eastern garb is
defined as offensive."

	I don't see where, in this language, there is any attack being made
on documented middle eastern garb.  And, you'll note, there is no suggestion
that other than the power of persuasion be used even against those wearing
19th century military regalia (for example).  garb")?