SC - Can Someone Explain This?

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Mon Jan 4 20:12:50 PST 1999

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Ann & Les Shelton wrote:

> What is the pelys end and how is the dish fastened?  Obviously, the dish
> is used in the process of transfering the liquid into the cofyn, but I
> can't visualize what it looks like from this description.  Any ideas?

I can't find 'pelys' in the modest Middle English dictionary I have at
home, BUT:

Vowels get moved about a fair bit, so I looked for pi- and py-... and
still found nothing. But My Old English dictionary has 'pil' as a pointed
object, spike, nail, etc. Comes from the Latin 'pilum'. My
something-like-educated guess is that the vowel shifted a bit over a
couple of hundred years, and that the pelys end is the handle, like a
skillet, or a pot with the 'grabber' handles molded into the edge. It
would be easier to pour from than a pot without handles.

Maybe?

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731