SC - Re: Limes

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Jan 6 13:00:19 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/6/99 10:31:54 AM Eastern Standard Time, grasse at mscd.edu
writes:

<< Citron shel uberzogen
 Limone shel uberzogen

 I translate this as Lemon peel coated and Lime peel coated... at the end of
 the listing he gives instruction for how to coat items if you choose to do
 it yourself.  It basically involves immersing the items in melted sugar and
 letting them absorb as much as they will.

On what basis do you interpet 'citron' as lemon and 'limone' as lime? I would
think that citron would simply be citron which was widely available and used
for confections. Limone then simply becomes lemon.

Botanically, limes are merely green skinned lemons. Their source of entry to
the West was, like yellow lemons, supposedly through Persia which makes sense
considering the point of origin for lemons in general is widely excepted as
being located in India.