SC - a Salty story

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Wed Jan 6 15:42:31 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>>"La Baliene Sea Salt is from the clear blue Mediterranean...

<snip>
>...if seawater is allowed to completely evaporate
>then you will have a collection of different salts.  Each one precipitates
>in turn, based on the concentration of ions remaining in the solution.

<major snip>

>Therefore I suspect that the "healthful" attributes of sea-salt stem from
>the fact that there are more minerals present...

>Kareina (a geologist, can you tell?)

Thanks Kareina for the information.  Yes I can tell!  I knew it tasted
different, and I'd got from somewhere that there were other "trace elements" in
Sea Salt vs the Mortons regular type.  I'm supposing from this thread, that the
regular type salt from mines somewhere would have been used in period cooking,
and that the process of mining it is pretty basic and not requiring else done to
refine the salt afterwards.  Perhaps those peoples living near the Med or
another sea in the past used Sea Salt instead?  After all the idea had to come
from somewhere.  I prefer the taste of Sea Salt, especially in salads.

Elysant