SC - another question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jan 6 22:10:46 PST 1999

Stacie wrote:

> instead of shortening what would one use? Lard...?
> butter?
> if you substituted shortening for butter how would it turn out?
>
> Stacie

Ounce for ounce, butter has less shortening power than lard or vegetable
shortening because it is an emulsion containing, what (it's late, I'm
tired, and I don't have the reference in front of me) roughly 15% water.

Almost all baked goods require at least _some_ water. Things like
shortbread usually can get enough from the butter, but if you
substituted another fat you might have to add some water. When
substituting whole butter for another fat, you should probably add
commensurately less water. It's probably not a big deal in most cases,
but when multiplying recipes for bulk use, it could be an issue.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy