SC - That Dratted Peel and Bowl

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Wed Jan 6 23:48:35 PST 1999

I agree with you, Alys Katharine.  I had the balance/stability thing
figured the same way as soon as I heard about it.

I've been looking through the photos in my German cook books.  There's a
pic of an iron (or dark metal) tart pan with a well-browned flat, yellow
thing--eggs, or something like an ommelette, probable--that is resting on
a round, wooden peel.  There appears to be a rudementary wooden clamp of
some kind holding the round wood to the peel handle.  It's in
_Kulinarische Streifzuge durch Schwaben_ by Frank Gerhard, Sigloch
Edition, Strassburg, Salzburg; 1979.

This book also has a photo of a handwritten recipe for a good sauce,
1416.  If you want to have a good sauce, you must have milk, salt, and
grease, sugar, eggs and flour, also saffron.

There's also a photo of a small, village bake house.There are 7 or 8
baskets sitting on the table, and several peels leaning against the stack
of kindling.  One, at least, seems to be the handle plus a small area to
which you would fasten the wood plat, or shovel blade part, or your dish.
 The peel the woman is using is a large, round one.

A later kitchen, several hundred years old they say, has one of Anne
Marie's 3-footed pots, but I don't know how old the pot is or if the same
thing existed in period.  There's a large and a medium sized iron
bowl/pot with long handles, hanging on the wall, and you could certainly
pour from one into a tart in the oven.  The stove is wood fired, and has
a stove pipe, so it's after our period, but certainly not complicated or
out of possible technology for us.  The bread peel is a rectangle, again
seeming to be fastened on to the handle at the edge of the flat part.

So many of my period illustrations, in woodcuts, have long-handled small
and large bowl shaped 'ladles' that someone must have decided to make a
permanent tool to be used.  I guess some of Chiquart's linen for the
kitchen use must have done the temporary lashing, so as to be clean when
it went over or around the dish.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA