SC - Blancmange

Margo Hablutzel margolh at nortelnetworks.com
Tue Jan 12 07:29:43 PST 1999

"Michael F. Gunter" wrote:

> It doesn't look too bad. I would probably have balanced things a little
differently
> but a pretty decent looking spread that even Sara may eat.

And Adamatius asked in part:

> It looks quite good, actually. I note that you have blancmanger
> (generally a dish of rice and almonds) and an almond rice dish
> (a dish of rice and almonds) on the same menu.

I am not the Coronation cook, but the recipe I have for "blancmanger" (need
to look it up at home if you like, I think from Harlien) is, as His Highness
said, a "chicken-mousse" sort of thing.  I remember learning in childhood
that it was fed to invalids, and since the "blancmange" of those days is a
stiff milk custard, I thought that made some sense.

A period blancmanger involved the white meat of chicken, cooked and smushed
up, with cream and some other things.  The idea is to keep it all very pale,
even while ("blanc") as much as possible.  I'll try to remember to bring in
the reference.

									---=
Morgan

	           |\     THIS is the cutting edge of technology!
<mailto:Hablutzel at compuserve.com> Hablutzel at compuserve.com
	                   Morgan Cely Cain * Steppes, Ansteorra

	                     May God have mercy on my enemies
	                     For they shall certainly need it.

	      For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

                I intend to live forever -- so far, so good!