SC - Interkingdom Anthropology??

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Tue Jan 12 17:33:00 PST 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Elise Fleming <alysk at ix.netcom.com>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: Tuesday, January 12, 1999 4:44 PM
Subject: SC - Interkingdom Anthropology??

>His Highness Gunter wrote regarding a new Laurel in cooking:
>
>>He is just beginning to discover period foods and hopefully he will
>       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^             ^^^^^^^^^^^^  (^^ are mine)
>>now pursue them more fervently. He is a very good cook.
>
>This is meant as an observation only, not a judgment or anything
>negative... Each kingdom does things differently!
>
>In the Middle, cooking Laurels have to be skilled at period cooking
>_before_ they are considered for elevation.  I recall clearly the
>_40-minute-long_ discussion of one candidate who is an excellent cook
>but who had not demonstrated her/his mastery of cooking from period
>sources to the satisfaction of one (or more) cooking Laurels who were
>present at the meeting. The non-cooks who were present loved her/his
>food but those with cookery knowledge were insisting that s/he
>demonstrate knowledge of period foods, what substitutions might (or
>might not) be made, reasonably accurate redactions of recipes by the
>candidate, etc.

Just a note. The individual in question is my apprentice. He was elevated
for his expertise in period cooking and has been doing so for a few years.
Like other kingdoms, one is not elevated here unless they show a high level
of competence in their field of expertise.

Meadhbh
(one very proud laurel!)