SC - Period Chili

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Jan 13 10:05:10 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/13/99 11:50:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:

<< Trager places the introduction of paprika into Hungary as 1529 when the
 Turks first took Buda.  The date is open to question, but the Turks were
 engaged in military activities there through the 16th Century and
 intermittently during the 17th Century, so its introduction via the Turks is
 very likely.

 Bear >>

Thanks for the update. After checking several other sources, it appears that
your date is most probably more accurate. I had assumed that because sweet
bell peppers were introduced so late that paprika pappers were included in the
term 'sweet peppers'. This is not the case. Paprika peppers are in reality a
third type of papper intermediate in spiciness. Forgive me for not taking more
time with the question.

Ras