SC - Re: Old World/New World Foods

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 14 06:09:56 PST 1999

Cariadoc/David mentioned that PPC had articles on New World foods and
suggested that you look for back issues.  Acanthus Books now carries
back issues.  I’m lousy for URLs, but Amanda haunts this list and might
provide it.  They are approximately $7.50 per issue (at least from
Prospect Books) but worth it.

Also, look for Sophie Coe’s _America’s First Cuisines_, Univ. of Texas
Press, 1994, ISBN (paperback) 0-292-71159-x.  It contains basically the
same material (but greatly expanded) that appeared in the PPC articles
mentioned above.  She details Aztec, Maya, and Inca foods.  What I
found so interesting was the influence of Old World foods on the New
World, why some New World foods didn’t catch on right away, and so
forth.  This might explain why, even though capsicums were _brought_ to
the Old World in period they were not _used_ .  (That is, they might
have been cooked and presented to royalty, and noted in a report - from
which we get historical “proof” - but they weren’t incorporated into
dishes served at feasts.)

A third source would be the older _The Columbian Exchange, Biological
and Cultural Consequences of 1492_, by Alfred W. Crosby, Jr., Greenwood
Press (Connecticut), 1972, ISBN 0-8371-7228-4 for the paperback.  It
has had at least four printings.  To me, it is a “dryer” read than
Coe’s book, but I haven’t read it for quite a few years now.

Alys Katharine, having a second "snow day" following yesterday's free
day!