SC - Tainted bread-LSD

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jan 15 18:53:24 PST 1999

Brenna wrote:

> Helen wrote:
>
> > I read some where that that was one possible explanation for the Salem Witch
> > trails.  They had a wet year and ate lots of rye bread and they think the wet
> > grain may have become tainted,  it may have made them "see things".
> >
> It was, IIRC, "last year's" rye grain which they believe had begun to grow an
> interesting fungus which (in effect) was a poison to the system and caused them
> to have hallucinations.

I understood the witnesses in the Salem trials admitted later they lied
because they were bored and had grudges against the defendants, and had
never seen anything even remotely questionable. Which is prolly why the
Salem trials are so much more famous than some of the known medieval
cases of mass ergotism.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --