SC - source for Salsify

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jan 15 19:01:51 PST 1999

Helen wrote:

> Hi Ras,
>     Where does one get the roots of salsify and are they still in season in May?
>
>                                                                         Thanks,
>                                                                            Helen

I don't know where you'd get them, unless from either a "fancy" produce
supplier, or perhaps one that specializes in various Latino "verdura",
such as taro, plantains, yucca, etc. I know several people from all over
South America who are quite fond of salsify (which they pronounce
"salsa-fee"), I know we used to sell escargots in bordelaise sauce on a
bed of shredded salsify at La Colombe d'Or, which would have been
roughly from May through July, so it presumably was in season
_somewhere_ during those months.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --