SC - Salsify-update and useful info

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Sat Jan 16 20:04:22 PST 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: LrdRas at aol.com <LrdRas at aol.com>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: 17. janúar 1999 03:27
Subject: Re: SC - Salsify-update and useful info

>In a message dated 1/16/99 1:05:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
nannar at isholf.is
>writes:
>
><<  It came from Spain and crept into the rest of Europe,
> especially France, Belgium and England, whose herbalists and gardeners all
> took an interest in it at the end of the sixteenth century.  >>
>
>I found the mention of Belgium above especially interesting due to the fact
>that in the current middle ages Belgium is the world's leading producer of
>salsify. That a food fad would last for 400 years is mind boggling. :-)
>
>Ras

Yes and no. Even if Belgian herbalists/gardeners took an interest, it may
not exactly have become a fad. To quote Jane Grigson:

"The odd thing is that neither vegetable (salsify & scorzonera) has ever
really caught on, at least with the general public. Intelligent gardeners,
from John Evelyn onwards, have always grown either salsify or scorzonera.
People who write books on gardening have been pushing them from the 17th to
the 20th century, but outside a few specialized and resourceful
greengrocer´s shops one can rarely buy them."

So maybe it just took the Belgian general public 400 years to catch on?

Nanna