SC - Huh?

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Jan 17 07:22:10 PST 1999

Regarding "The 12th Century Yorkish Hole"  Suffice it it say that when you
combine a fit of pique, a soupcon of whimsy, and really good documentation
of an obscure period object you get results which can be quite outre'.  In
my case "The Excavations at York; The Viking Dig" by Richard Hall, 1984 The
Bodley Head, London, ISBN 0-370-30802-6 has on page 127 plate 153 a picture
in situ of  "Twelfth-century toilet seat fallen into a cess pit."  In
approximately 15 pages I document in exhaustive detail the hole in the plank
and my reconstruction of it.   It was in essence a study of documentation.
I asked them to judge not the plank but the hole as it was analogous to
judging a painting but not the frame.   What insued was a brief decision of
what was appropriate for Art/Sci and what category it should be entered in.
We decided domestics and the consensus was that it indeed was appropriate
for art/Sci.  Incidentally we came to the conclusion that, for example, the
instruments used in the regicide of Edward II were not.  The Principal of
the Laureate in Trimaris said upon reading the documentation  that it was
worth the trip as I made her laugh twice.   Everyone involved asked for a
copy of the documentation.  The King declined to test it but at least one
person said it was more cumfortable that hers at home.  I have sent copies
of the documentation privately to several persons on this list.   If anyone
else is interested I will attach them to private side messages to avoid
clogging up the works.   If you are at Gulf War next I plan on entering it
in the grand melee competition.

Daniel Raoul le Vascon du Navarre'.