SC - White chili recipe-OT-OOP

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Jan 17 07:51:25 PST 1999

Here is a recipe that I recieved from one of my other lists for White Chili.
So for those who can't abide the taste of tomato or are allergic to them here
is a tasty alternative. You will notice the inclusion of many period
ingredients. I tried this and it is pretty good despite the lack of red. :-)

From: Sharon  mailto:SBarnes at gablelaw.com

White Chili

1 lb. great northern white beans
5 cans chicken broth
  (you can use the broth from cooking chicken)
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
  (use more or less depending on how
meaty you want the chili)
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. oregano
  tsp. cayenne pepper
Salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste
3 c. Monterey Jack cheese
1 (7 oz) can chopped green chilies

Soak beans overnight.  Combine beans, broth, onions and garlic in
large pot.  Cook (boil, then simmer) for 1-2 hours until beans are
done.  (Do not stir too much or the beans will fall apart).  When
beans are done, add chicken, spices and chilies.  Simmer for
approximately 1 hour and add grated cheese last.  Simmer until cheese
is melted; stir or cheese will sink to the bottom and scorch.

NOTE: Cooking times are approximate.  Basically cook until the beans
are done and spices have "soaked in", then until cheese melts.
Sometimes not all of the chicken broth is necessary.  You don't want
it too soupy, so I usually add about 4 cans of chicken broth and add
the last can as needed.

This will make a large pot.  Serve with a salad and garlic bread and
enjoy!