SC - Vegetable Warners

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jan 18 07:07:16 PST 1999

Meliora & Drake wrote:

> Thnak you to Margali and Ras for your ideas.  Unfortunately what you
> suggested is
> what I term as sweets (ie fried fruit and nuts in one and much sugar in
> the other).
>
> Does anyone have a documentable savoury vegetable warner recipe?
>
> Or on a related topic, oes anyone have documentation for a vegetable
> pie?

See the tart of greens recipe in, I believe, Le Menagier de Paris,
redacted in, among other sources, HG Cariadoc's Miscellany, which is
available online.

As for savory vegetable warners (and I confess I've never run across the
term "warner" in a period source, BTW, which may just be my ignorance
showing) the closest I can think of offhand are some of Gervase
Markham's sallet receipts, technically post-period (published in 1615
but actually written several years previous). They are usually compound
salads, usually laid out on platters in decorative patterns, some fully
edible but others "for shew only".

Perhaps when I am fully caffeinated I'll try typing some of those
recipes into the Cooks' Collective Consciousness.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy