SC - Bruet of Sarcynesse

Margo Farnsworth margokeiko at esslink.com
Mon Jan 18 09:15:46 PST 1999

- ------=_NextPart_000_02B5_01BE42DC.472E2F40

Greetings all,
I was in a novice A&S triathalon last weekend, and did very well with a =
bruet I entered.  This was one of my first attempts at redaction, and I =
was very pleased with the results (so were the judges!).  I would =
appreciate any feedback on my redaction.

Bruet of Sarcynesse=20

By Faoiltighearna Ingean Mhic Guarre

For To Make a Bruet of Sarcynesse:

Take the flesh of the fresh beef and cut it all in pieces and bread and =
fry it in fresh grease take it up and dry it and do it in a vessel with =
wine and sugar and powder of cloves, boil it together till the flesh =
have drunk the liquor and take the almond milk and quibibs maces and =
cloves and boyl them together, take the flesh and do thereto and mix it =
forth. (Ancient Cookery, 1381)

I found this recipe in Seven Centuries of English Cooking by Maxime de =
la Falaise. The heading on it was "Meat Loaf with Almonds". Her =
instructions are to take all of the ingredients, mix them together and =
bake it as a meat loaf. When I read the actual recipe, it didn=92t sound =
like it should be a loaf at all, but maybe beef in an almond sauce. I =
then picked up my Curye on Inglysch from the Early English Text Society =
and looked up their definition of bruet and found it even contains a =
reference to this very recipe. Here are excerpts from their definition:

bruet n. broth, or meat or other food cooked in broth. BRUET OF =
SARCYNESSE II 55, BRUET SARASEYNS Menu 4, =91Saracen broth=92: a beef =
stew bearing no visible relationship to any other dish of similar name =
in English, French, or Italian collections, although it may be descended =
from something similar to the LSS=92s Carn a la Sarreynesca (p.188) and =
makes use of a typical Arabic procedure: cf. C. Anne Wilson in PPC 7 =
(1981), p. 15.

I arrived at the amounts used by various means:=20

Beef - by the size roast I happened to find

Bread - I had only 4 slices of bread on hand

Wine =96 I don=92t drink red wine, so I wanted to use the whole bottle =
and not have any leftover

Sugar =96 It seemed to be about 4 cups of wine, so it was a random guess =
at 1 tbsp per cup

Spices =96 I know that cloves can be very strong, so I went easy on =
them. I love black pepper, so I

used more of that. Mace, I never cook with so I used a moderate amount.=20

Almond Milk =96 I had 1cup of almonds in the freezer. I did not strain =
the milk, so the finished=20

bruet had tiny bits of nut in it for added texture (and no waste!)

Here is my interpretation of the recipe:

2 =BD lbs. beef (I used bottom round) chopped small by hand

4 slices bread fried in 4 tbsp. butter

1 (750 ml) bottle burgundy wine

4 tbsp. sugar

=BD tsp. ground cloves

2 c. almond milk (1 c. almonds + 1 c. water ground together)

1 tsp. black pepper (quibibs if you have them, I did not)

=BD tsp. mace

=BC tsp. ground cloves

Tear the bread into small pieces and put into a large pot. Add the sugar =
and =BD tsp. cloves and the bottle of wine. Bring to a boil and try to =
mash the bread with a fork. Add the beef and continue boiling for 1 =
hour, stirring occasionally as it tends to stick to the bottom, until =
the beef becomes tender. Meanwhile, boil the almond milk with the =
remaining spices until it becomes thick. When the beef becomes tender, =
add the almond milk mixture and serve.

Bibliography

Seven Centuries of English Cooking by Maxime de la Falaise. Grove Press, =
Inc., 1973. Page 42.

Curye on Inglysch from the Early English Text Society. Oxford University =
Press, 1985. Pages 132-133.

- ------=_NextPart_000_02B5_01BE42DC.472E2F40

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#d8d0c8>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Greetings all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I was in a novice A&S triathalon =
last=20
weekend, and did very well with a bruet I entered.  This was one of =
my=20
first attempts at redaction, and I was very pleased with the results (so =
were=20
the judges!).  I would appreciate any feedback on my=20
redaction.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2><B><FONT size=3D6>
<P>Bruet of Sarcynesse </P></B></FONT>
<P>By Faoiltighearna Ingean Mhic Guarre</P><I>
<P>For To Make a Bruet of Sarcynesse:</P>
<P>Take the flesh of the fresh beef and cut it all in pieces and bread =
and fry=20
it in fresh grease take it up and dry it and do it in a vessel with wine =
and=20
sugar and powder of cloves, boil it together till the flesh have drunk =
the=20
liquor and take the almond milk and quibibs maces and cloves and boyl =
them=20
together, take the flesh and do thereto and mix it forth. (Ancient =
Cookery,=20
1381)</P></I><FONT size=3D2>
<P> </P>
<P>I found this recipe in <I>Seven Centuries of English Cooking</I> by =
Maxime de=20
la Falaise. The heading on it was "Meat Loaf with Almonds". =
Her=20
instructions are to take all of the ingredients, mix them together and =
bake it=20
as a meat loaf. When I read the actual recipe, it didn’t sound =
like it=20
should be a loaf at all, but maybe beef in an almond sauce. I then =
picked up my=20
<I>Curye on Inglysch</I> from the Early English Text Society and looked =
up their=20
definition of <I>bruet </I>and found it even contains a reference to =
this very=20
recipe. Here are excerpts from their definition:</P>
<DIR>
<DIR><B>
<P>bruet</B> <I>n</I>. broth, or meat or other food cooked in =
broth. BRUET=20
OF SARCYNESSE II 55, BRUET SARASEYNS Menu 4, ‘Saracen =
broth’: a beef=20
stew bearing no visible relationship to any other dish of similar name =
in=20
English, French, or Italian collections, although it may be descended =
from=20
something similar to the <I>LSS’s Carn a la Sarreynesca</I> =
(p.188) and=20
makes use of a typical Arabic procedure: cf. C. Anne Wilson in <I>PPC =
7</I>=20
(1981), p. 15.</P><B></DIR></DIR></B>
<P> </P><FONT size=3D2>
<P>I arrived at the amounts used by various means: </P>
<P>Beef - by the size roast I happened to find</P>
<P>Bread - I had only 4 slices of bread on hand</P>
<P>Wine – I don’t drink red wine, so I wanted to use the =
whole=20
bottle and not have any leftover</P>
<P>Sugar – It seemed to be about 4 cups of wine, so it was a =
random guess=20
at 1 tbsp per cup</P>
<P>Spices – I know that cloves can be very strong, so I went easy =
on them.=20
I love black pepper, so I</P>
<P>used more of that. Mace, I never cook with so I used a moderate =
amount. </P>
<P>Almond Milk – I had 1cup of almonds in the freezer. I did not =
strain=20
the milk, so the finished </P>
<DIR>
<DIR>
<P>bruet had tiny bits of nut in it for added texture (and no=20
waste!)</P></DIR></FONT></DIR>
<P>Here is my interpretation of the recipe:</P>
<P>2 &frac12; lbs. beef (I used bottom round) chopped small by hand</P>
<P>4 slices bread fried in 4 tbsp. butter</P>
<P>1 (750 ml) bottle burgundy wine</P>
<P>4 tbsp. sugar</P>
<P>&frac12; tsp. ground cloves</P>
<P>2 c. almond milk (1 c. almonds + 1 c. water ground together)</P>
<P>1 tsp. black pepper (quibibs if you have them, I did not)</P>
<P>&frac12; tsp. mace</P>
<P>&frac14; tsp. ground cloves</P>
<P>Tear the bread into small pieces and put into a large pot. Add the =
sugar and=20
&frac12; tsp. cloves and the bottle of wine. Bring to a boil and try to =
mash the=20
bread with a fork. Add the beef and continue boiling for 1 hour, =
stirring=20
occasionally as it tends to stick to the bottom, until the beef becomes =
tender.=20
Meanwhile, boil the almond milk with the remaining spices until it =
becomes=20
thick. When the beef becomes tender, add the almond milk mixture and =
serve.</P>
<P> </P>
<P> </P></FONT><B><FONT size=3D5>
<P>Bibliography</P></FONT><FONT size=3D2></B><I>
<P>Seven Centuries of English Cooking</I> by Maxime de la Falaise. =
Grove=20
Press, Inc., 1973. Page 42.</P><I>
<P>Curye on Inglysch</I> from the Early English Text Society. =
Oxford=20
University Press, 1985. Pages =
132-133.</P></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_02B5_01BE42DC.472E2F40--