SC - smoking (sausages and other)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 19 06:46:59 PST 1999

Ian van Tets' lady wife wrote:

> Also, there is a sausage recipe in Platina, I've forgotten the name
> of the lady who sent it to me (sorry, maybe she'll se this?).  As far
> as I could tell, it was a spiced (fennel seed) sausage which was to
> be smoked and kept like salami (although salami never keeps around
> me- no chance!).  I think the lady in question chose to interpret it
> differently.
>
> Cairistiona

That would be Lady Avelina Keyes, except I was just reading on the EK
list she is now using a different surname, and it escapes me just now.
So yes, that was probably Lady Avelina, who did a wonderful redaction of
Platina's Lucanian Sausage recipe. I believe Platina did intend for the
Lucanian sausage to be smoked and kept, and as I recall (which may or
may not have anything to do with reality), Lady Avelina grilled hers
from a fresh, raw state, the first couple of times she made them, and
has since begun smoke-drying them. I think.

<Hey, Avelina, do you live in the Central or the Southern Region of the
East? If in the Southern, I think I'm your regional Minister of A&S, so
I should know this stuff...>

Note that Platina was part of a political movement (imprisoned twice for
treason, as I recall) which, among other habits, believed and engaged in
resurrecting selected aspects of the past (now where have we heard
_that_ before?) (specifically the Roman Republic and Empire), so they
all had classical Latin aliases, and, on occasion, ate foods that were
inspired, at least in name, by sources like Apicius.

Apicius includes at least two recipes for Lucanian sausage; one that
contains things like eggs and brains in addition to muscle meat, and
seems intended to be eaten fresh, and another more or less "all-meat"
sausage that is smoked, much like the Hugh Plat Polonian sausage.
Platina's recipe for Lucanian sausage is probably inspired by this one.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy