SC - Vegetable Warners

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Tue Jan 19 14:53:24 PST 1999

I found a good one!  In Sabina Welserin's CB, #40:

(from Valoise Armstrong's translation)
To make a dish of peas
Cook peas so that they become mushy, put them in a colander and strain as
for almond milk.  Strain saffron, ginger and cinnmon with it.  Then it
looks like a worm.  Sprinkle sugar over it and serve it cold.

(from Hansen's unpublished translation)
To make a dish of peas
Seethe peas that they become mushy.  Do in a stainer.  Drive through like
almond milk.  Drive through with it saffron, ginger, cinnamon, so it looks
like worms and strew sugar thereon and give it forth cold.

Sabina Welserin also has three spinach or mangel pies, and two herb pies.

Also, a whole roast lamb with butter 'hair', surrounded by a butter 'fence'.

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net
Recipes"