SC - Perforated or covered vessel?

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Wed Jan 20 07:07:02 PST 1999

Hello!  I checked Pegge's edition.  his guess is that it means 'hollow'.

If it were not for the fact that we're instructed to florissh it with anise
- -- which is the final step before service -- I'd say it meant 'covered'.
But, since we're already at the garnishing stage, I'm going to suggest
something a bit off the wall.  That is, perhaps the vessel 'yholed'
('yholes' in Pegge), refers to a perforated container *for the saffron*,
used to sprinkle the saffron on the dish as a final garnish.  "...for just
as one saith 'fringed' (frangé) with saffron, so doth one say garnished
with parsley; and it is the manner of speaking of cooks." (Power, Goodman
of Paris, p. 164.)

In Take 1000 Eggs, vol. 2, p. 447, there is an illustration from the
Lutrell Psalter (c. 1340) showing several dishes being prepared for
service.  The middle figure is holding a tall thin vessel that may be a
spice shaker.

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net