SC - Re: Elizabeth I - Masque at Hatfield

Oughton, Karin (GEIS, Tirlan) Karin.Oughton at geis.ge.com
Thu Jan 21 08:39:07 PST 1999

> Tipperith wrote:
>

	>>What about the comment about 'with 30 plates'?

	>I would assume this would be thirty different types of "desserts".

	>BTW, all sorts of spices would/could be candied.

	I wonder if it could have been a literal meaning of 30 plates?
Banquet courses were often served to the very rich on sugarcraft 'plates'
often highly ornately decorated, even with gold leaf, and the plates were
then broken up and eaten afterwards.

	So it could actually 30 pressed sugar plates, some of which would
have other desserts on them.

	karin

	tirlan at tirlan.com