SC - Feast Service

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Thu Jan 21 10:16:44 PST 1999

>>> in which a 16th-century Englishman is quoted as saying that
>>> the people of Spain use tomatoes in a sauce "as we do mustard."
>>>
>>> Alasdair mac Iain
>
>Well, looking through "Seven Hundred Years of English Cooking", I
>couldn't find the reference to tomatoes that you cite here.  BUT, I did
>find something interesting in the chapter on the 18th Century about
<snip>

Hello!  I found it:

"Poma Amoris. Apples of Loue. [tomato]
...In Spaine and those hot Regions they vse to eat the Apples
prepared and boiled with pepper, salt, and oile: but they yeeld very
little nourishment to the bodie, and the same nought and corrupt.
Likewise they doe eat the Apples with oile, vineger and pepper
mixed together for sauce to their meate, euen as we in these cold
Countries doe Mustard." (From Gerard's Herbal, pp. 345-347.)

There's a similar quote for horseradish:
"...Horse Radish stamped with a little vineger put thereto, is
commonly vsed among the Germanes for sauce to eate fish with, and
such like meates, as we doe mustard; but this kinde of sauce doth
heate the stomacke better, and causeth better digestion than
mustard."  (From Gerard's Herbal, pp. 240-242.)

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net
Recipes"