SC - Cookery-Art or Science

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Jan 22 23:38:50 PST 1999

Adamantius comments:
> On the other hand, the appeal of a perfectly baked genoise cake, or even
> a cuskynole ;  ) can still be ruined by a nasty-looking decorating job,
> or an incompetent slicer/server. There is art to it, as well, just as in
> cookery, you can make a lovely-tasting custard which can be ruined if
> you lack the technical acumen to see it cooks to the right internal
> temperature without curdling.

Definitely. A friend of mine made an elaborate sotelitie for one of our
baronial Yule Revels. I'm sure there is a name for this but I can't
remember what is right now. It is where you have the multiple birds, each
one boned, coated with a spice mixture and placed inside a larger bird.
For example, a game hen inside a chicken, inside a duck, inside a pheasant
etc. Lots of work.

She took it to the revel, where the staff proceeded to cut it up in pieces
and serve it in very poor light. She might as well have simply cooked a
single chicken or turkey.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: