SC - Ambiance: Was : Cookery-Art or Science

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jan 24 16:17:38 PST 1999

Elise Fleming wrote:

> The new issue of TI surprised me with an article of mine, part of which
> talks about our Victorian perception of candle-lit halls.  The example
> I gave about having to take out a flashlight to see if we had a grain
> dish or a salad wasn't exaggerated.  Stefan's cook (above) is echoed by
> my example of a lovely subtlety that wasn't visible.  Ambiance is
> something we need to begin working on.  I will hazard a guess that if
> the tables are arranged "medievally", if servers act with flourish, if
> banners hang on the wall, and if the food is good and on time, few
> people will complain that the lights are too bright.

Another thing to bear in mind, of course, is that the majority of the
historical protoype feasts we are emulating took place during the day,
so there may have been light coming through windows and such, even if
covered with an all-but-opaque cover, be it glass, oilskin, or whatever.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy