SC - Platina - questions

LyAngharad at aol.com LyAngharad at aol.com
Mon Jan 25 06:33:08 PST 1999

Caitlen Ruadh asked:

> 1) Most of the time, people use Cheddar for Armored Turnips.  Has anyone
> tried any other cheeses?  If so, which one's and how did it come out?

Well, not having checked out Stefan's files (oops!), I found the recipe in
"Pleyn Delit", Second Edition (C.B. Hieatt, B. Hosington, & S. Butler), and
followed it as written (recipe #38).  It calls for "10 - 12 ounces of Swiss
cheese (Preferably Raclette or Gruyere) OR a mixture of Swiss and a mild
Cheddar."  This is for 2 lbs. white turnips.  The first time a made this (to
try it at home -- my husband says this is a "keeper"), I used the
Swiss/cheddar mixture, using Kraft cheeses (slices, cut up -- what was "on
hand" <g>).  Wonderful!  Last week I again tried it with Gruyere, and used a
bit too much, and it was a bit dry.  Next time I plan to try it with a less
dry Swiss.

In sort of researching cheeses, we have come across the idea that "cheddaring"
is a post-period way of processing cheeses.  Not too sure now whether this is
really correct or not, but if "cheddaring" is OOP, then Swiss would seem to be
the cheese of choice in this recipe.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Ly. Angharad
Barony of Namron, Ansteorra