SC - Nerve Bisquits???

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 26 07:14:51 PST 1999

store in a cool place, slice and bake?  Medieval refrigerator cookies?

I read this and observe that adding baking powder in order to come up
with a more modernly acceptable product is a no-no.  Using middle ages
ingredients in a modern method may well be delicous but what was wrong
with the redacted cookies when compared to a modern cookie?  Did they
ever really try the straight redaction, or just immediately move into
the modern recipe? Are they familiar with middle ages methods and so
changed the recipe for good reason?  Or did they see the ingredient list
and shoehorn them into a familiar recipe? It's the sort of thing that
would make you question every other recipe in the book. I have almost
memorized the Refriigerator Spice Cookies recipe in my Better Homes &
GArdens cookbook after so many years and this is not far off.

This sounds grumpier than I mean it. It's just a lightbulb moment for me
because I do know that recipe so well.  I hope someone does have an
English translation of the original Bingen recipe so we can try it.

Bonne