SC - filo dough

Tara Sersen tsersen at browser.net
Tue Jan 26 19:08:48 PST 1999

> I have a Hungarian recipe for traditional Strudle dough, that when done
> correctly closely resembles Phyllo. I don't know how period it is, but
> if you have the space & the time...& like getting more than abit messy,
> is well worth the effort.

I thought a strudel dough was more like a sweet bread dough than a
pastry, like filo.  My grandmother's description of making it is to turn
the dough out on the center of the bedsheet-covered table on which
you'll be preparing it, invert a bowl over it, and leave it to rise.
After you punch it down, you stretch it rather than roll it like you
would a pastry.  Traditionally, you stretch it until it reaches the
floor on all sides of the table, then pick up the edge of the sheet to
roll the dough up, leaving you with about a six or eight foot long
strudel which you cut into sections to bake.

I absconded with a great, huge rectangular heirloom table from one
grandmother's house specifically so I could make strudel... but haven't
had the chance to try it yet.  But it makes a wonderful cutting table
for making garb ;)

Magdalena