SC - Breakfast

Kathleen M Hogan kathleen.hogan at juno.com
Fri Jan 29 13:14:44 PST 1999

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 19:42:25 EST Mordonna22 at aol.com writes:
>In a message dated 1/28/99 7:41:59 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
>a14h at zebra.net writes:

>  Was shocked and embarrassed once when a Yankee cousin put grape >jelly
on hers.  Learned a bit more tolerance over the years, but still >haven't
learned to eat grits sweet.

My Great-Gran taught me that, properly, oats porridge is ALWAYS "they" or
"them"...NEVER "it", and eaten with a bit of salt and sometimes butter.
I never could eat them sweetened...the very thought of them with syrup
and stuff turns my stomach.  Imagine my disgust when at Army Basic I got
my bowl of porridge and discovered the cook had put cinnamon in them!  I
almost gagged on the stuff.   I finally convinced him to set aside a bowl
of  them for me BEFORE adding the spices.  I still think he thought I was
nuts!  My kids, however, love it with fruit and sugar or honey and milk.
I learned  long ago to grit my teeth and deal with it.

Caitlin nicFhionghuin
House Oak & Thistle