SC - Sweet treats or Savory?-OOP

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Jan 30 06:11:42 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/30/99 5:01:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kareina at eagle.ptialaska.net writes:

<< our parents are
 from Michigan and Pennsylvania, so perhaps that is why I've not met anyone
 else who eats them "properly".  >>

I am from the 'butter and salt' group and am a Pennsylvania native and
resident. Could this be a 'Dutch' thing? I learned it from my stepdad. What
nationality is the 'Stroud' last name?

<<The thought of sweetened oatmeal turns my
 stomach.

 --Kareina >>

It doesn't really 'turn' my stomach so much as that after a few bites I get
sort of queasy.(sp?) whereas unsweetened grain porridges seem like a meal. I
would suspect that upbringing has a lot to do with this. An interesting thing
would be to compare the taste for unsweentened porridge with a person taste
for sweets in general. For instance, I like tangy lemon and other fruit pies
and jams but very rarely appreciate desserts that are ultra sweet unless the
other flavors predominate over the sweetness. A tiny piece of bhaklava will
suffice but I can scarf an entire tangy cherry pie with no problem.

My theory is that when I was growing up, my mom considered 'sugar' expensive
so it was used judiciously. My gram was also diabetic. With sour cherry,
crabapples, , MacIntosh apples, chokecherries, elderberries, strawberries and
red currants being the fruits most often processed in our home. Rarely a
banana was had for a 'treat'. Cakes were served on 'special' occasions with
ciinamon rolls being made at least weekly. The addition of lemon juice to pies
was standard practice to balance the sweetness. Our most frequent treat was
pork cutlets on Friday night. The result is that out of 8 children only my
youngest brother has any leaning towards 'sweet' things with the rest of us
loving more savory items as 'treats'. Has then been anyone else's experience?