SC - Another Andalus question- easier

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Jan 30 12:38:19 PST 1999

At 11:13 PM -0500 1/29/99, LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

>OK, this makes since.. Then is a 'grate' a part of the accessories associated
>with the oven? The recipe specically says to enclose it in a tannur and put a
>pot under it. Is the lamb's breast (which by the way is an EXCELLENT recipe
>from this manuscript cooked on a grate in a roasting pan) precarously balanced
>on the top of the earthen vessel>? Hoew would you, personally, redact this
>part of the recipe? Thanks in advance.

I suspect you are working from an early edition of the collection,
containing the retranslation from the Spanish before Charles Perry went
back and redid the whole thing from the Arabic. Is this the recipe you mean
(from the new translation)?

Another Kind of Lamb Breast

Get the breast of a plump lamb, pierce it between the meat and the ribs, so
that the hand and fingers can fit in; then get a large handful each of
peeled almonds and hazelnuts, and a dirham each of Chinese cinnamon,
lavender, cloves, saffron and pepper, and a little salt; pound all this and
mix it with breadcrumbs and knead it with oil, and knead until it thickens
and can be used as a stuffing. When it is stuffed, sew up the breast with
clean gut and hang it in a tannur, and set under it an earthen pot into
which what melts from the breast can drip, and when it is done take it out.

I think it is pretty clear--you are hanging it in an oven, with pot
underneath to catch the drippings.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University