SC - Vinha d'ahos

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sat Jan 30 20:23:08 PST 1999

And it came to pass on 30 Jan 99,, that Jan McEwen wrote:

> My lord, being of Portuguese descent, is wondering if vinha d'ahos is
> "period".  It is a dish of pork pickled in a vinegar-garlic brine.  The
> pork is not cooked initially.  It is heated up before serving.

Something similar is period.  There are period Spanish recipes for
"Adobo" -- various meats cooked in a vinegar sauce.  The recipes I
have (in the "Libro de Guisados", 1529) are for liver and mutton.  No
garlic is mentioned as a seasoning -- the recipes call for cinnamon,
cloves, pepper, and "spices".  I also have a 1423 Spanish carving
manual (Arte Cisoria) which specifies that one of the common
ways to cook domestic pig is "en adobo".

There are also recipes for escabeche -- a pickled dish.  I have one
for rabbit and another for various fishes.  Again, there is no mention
of garlic, and the seasonings are such things as saffron, cinnamon,
cloves, and "fine spices".

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)