SC - payn ragoun

Ian van Tets ivantets at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Sun Jan 31 08:24:40 PST 1999

Hello!

I perhaps should have mentioned when discussing my reason for digging
further withthe payn ragoun recipe that I had also noticed that the
writer of Forme of Cury is very careful about putting commas and/or
ands between ingredients, and this was the only place I had seen
where he didn't, which implied to me that 'thriddendele' actually
referred to the pine nuts, rather than being a separate ingredient.

To answer Ras:  I didn't increase the ginger.  I just thought, having
made it, that perhaps it should be (but then I generally double or
treble the ginger in gingerbread anyway).

Last time this was made, using Black's redaction (ie. with the
breadcrumbs) we had to eat it with spoons because either the
breadcrumbs (unlikely) or the honey made it so soggy.  I had also
been told that other things made by other people with honey had this
effect too.

What exactly does clarifying (as per the original recipe) do to
honey?  Is it the same as mondern clarification?  Would it remove
enough impurities that the honey would behave like sugar?

Cairistiona (still feeling sick from her 2 small pieces - sugar
doesn't agree with me either, but the recipe had caught my interest)