SC - Cookery-Art or Science

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Sun Jan 31 15:48:16 PST 1999

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Reia M. Chmielowski wrote:

> At 01:14 1/31/99 , 'Lainie wrote:
>
> >	BTW- the last SO thought I was crazed for putting molasses in the
> >pumpkin pie filling (but he ate three pieces!) Does anyone else do it? I
> >think it just tastes richer that way.
> Do you use just a bit for flavor, or do you replace all or most of the
> other sugar with it?  (no, I hadn't thought of doing such a thing, but it
> _sounds_ like a good idea...)

Umm, prolly replacing some. I put in a couple of handfulls of dark brown
sugar, beat it in, then add molasses a little at a time until it's
'right'. I'm not sure how much I have of either, but it isn't as much as
the white sugar called for on the label, I know that. Of course, what's
BEST is using fresh pumpkin! Back when we lived in the greater Portland
(OR) area and had a garden, I would cook pumpkin and freeze it in bags
with enough for a batch of pies or pumpkin bread. But now, even with the
community garden on the other side of the creek (I can see it from here) I
don't have TIME (grad student syndrome) or energy (serious health probs)
to garden. It's sad. But here in Eugene there's plenty of 'organic'
growers, so there's still something to eat!

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731