SC - Medieval Portuguese cookbooks?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Jul 2 11:14:00 PDT 1999

	snip
> And as a general question -- what sorts of seasonings would I
> substitute for black pepper (or white pepper, or red pepper, etc.) in
> recipes, period or not?
      snip

> -- Harriet

	I'm allergic to capsicum and have experimented with the following to
get a little bite to dishes which would be too bland:
	          Horse radish - lovely stuff but a little goes a long way.
	          Ginger root - very period - I would double the amount
called for and leave out the pepper.
	          and for very late Spanish the capsicum peppers are coming
into use.
	Hope this helps. Margarite