SC - cranberries

Sat Jul 3 08:09:19 PDT 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/3/99 9:32:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time, agora at algonet.se
> writes:
>
> << ut I think the "kabeljou" or
>  "bacalao" it means the dried fish, the procedure and not the specific
>  fish. >>
>
> What leads you to this conclusion?
>
> Ras

In the case of bacalao (I think there's something about cabaljou in that
fascinating cod book I have somewhere, but where, aye, there's the cod)
it seems to be the deal that any of a number of codlike fishes can be
used, including cod, ling or hake, pollack, etc. The equivocation for
purpose is only aided by the fact that cod, as they've become somewhat
overfished, have gotten smaller [i.e. the size at which they are
harvested rather than thrown back] over the last several decades, and
you see fewer and fewer of the really big fish in the primary markets
these days. If a real cod isn't going to get more than about two feet
long, usually, an eighteen-inch hake, which will dry to a perfectly fine
stockfish, or salt for a fine bacalao, seems like an excellent
substitute from which to make a product sold under the same name. I know
I've seen those little wooden boxes of bacalao (imported, I think, from
South Africa, interestingly enough), reading "SALT COD [pollack]".

This is not to say that this situation always existed, of course. Until
fairly recently salt cod was salt cod.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy